Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Front porch plans / bed swing design


(porch light, rug, pillow, fan, planter is ikea, front door knocker is rejuvenation)
We've been working on the front porch plans for a while. I'm planning on painting the front door emerald and the ceiling a fun mint. I love that jute rug and I'm trying to find an indoor outdoor version of it. We already have that galvanized planter from Ikea, light and door knocker and I can't wait for it all to come together. That ceiling fan is a must for hot SC nights. 

I love our front porch, its big with grey painted wood floors and a deep overhang from the house. Its the perfect hang out spot and I've been dreaming up a plan for a bed swing for a while (see here). 
Here is what it looked like last summer, we loved that set but it was borrowed and had to go home. I've been working on a design for a bed swing for us to build, I loved this one from Ballard (which is on sale for $699!), but its smaller then I want, and more than I wanted to spend. 
I really wanted to use a twin xlong mattress we already had so I based dimensions on that and we are going to build our own. I sketched and sketched trying to find a design that would be interesting and easy to build (HA). I also knew I wanted some curves because our house has so many straight lines with the paneling and porch railings and I wanted to break that up. Then I was watching an older fixer upper one night (love me some jojo) and I saw this pattern they were overlaying on a bench and loved it. 
Finally! Here is what I came up with. We are adding some fun finials and trim pieces and I can't wait to see it all come together. Luke's dad, the master carpenter is going to help us and I'm hoping to have it done in the next few weeks. 
Now I'm on the hunt for some good outdoor fabrics to use to cover the mattress and make pillows, any good reasonable sources?

1 comment:

  1. I think Robert just needs to go ahead and make two of these. ;)

    Cannot wait to see this together and I need one of those galvanized pots! Love!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...